Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gawai & Longhouse

If at the Western country, they got Thanksgiving, every year.
In Sarawak, we also got thanksgiving day. It was held 1st June, every year and it was called Gawai.
and this year, I can't celebrate Gawai.


It's beer zapple.


You guys gotta be confuse why in the world I celebrated Gawai, right?
Well, I celebrated it because I had a Bidayuh in my family. And last year was my first time celebrate it. I went to her longhouse a.k.a rumah panjang at Kanowit.


 To my surprised, the longhouse is very very long. It can fit 50 houses in it. My cousin's spouse, who is a Bidayuh, told us that the longhouse she stayed in was renovated by Datuk-whom-his-name-I-don't-remember and the electricity is generated by a generator. The most interesting part was, it was double-storey!


Focus at back there !


Who says longhouse is sucks? 
People always asked me whether I lived in a longhouse or not. You gotta be kidding me!
FYI, melanau people, long ago, live in a tallhouse.
I think longhouse and tallhouse is quite different though. Even the spelling is different.
XD


" Selagi x mabok, selagi aa x Gawai " 
- tuai rumah panjang


I have a 1Malaysia Family. <3 
Family sebelah abah.
Konon pegang tuak la tekk, hakikatny,
it's just Coke.


This post is especially to all my Iban, Bidayuh, and every Sarawakians who celebrated Gawai.




Selamat Hari Gawai
Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai




* * *
To all my Sabahan friends who celebrated Kaamatan, I hope its not too late for me to wish you guys 


Selamat Hari Kaamatan
Kotobian tadau tagaazo do kaamatan







No comments:

Post a Comment

A reader like you makes me a happy blogger. :)
Comment my entry and I'll get back to you.